Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Not Forgotten

I have been away but I hope that you know that the cancer has not been forgotten.  Instead, it seems that this cancer thing has taken over almost every thought that I have each and every moment of the day.  I am in the process of leaving my job, at least temporarily, so that I can focus all of my energy on beating this stupid cancer and also spending time with my kids when I can.  And, while I'm in the midst of that, I'm preparing for my mastectomy scheduled for next week.

May 3rd is green-light day.  The race is on at that moment when the scoreboard changes.  It will no longer appear that cancer might be "ahead" because I am stepping up the fight and having the mastectomy.  Once I recover, I will move right into chemotherapy, though I've been told this could be another 6-8 weeks down the road.  I was so ill-prepared for the "mastectomy" news that it was a couple of days before I realized that I would not be able to drive...for a while.  The RN for the surgeon said to plan for no driving during the month of May.  I HATE this idea.  But, I hate the idea of cancer even more, so I'll do what I have to do.  I have prescriptions to be filled, post-mastectomy camisoles to purchase, schedules to coordinate and crap to clean-out at home.  I am in panic mode that I will not be able to lift things for a short while so I have a need to clean out as much as possible.  I've also tried to read up on the whole surgery and recovery process so that I will be able to make many informed decisions and choices as I move through this first phase of kicking breast cancer booty.

The other big news at the moment is our pending trip to Orlando tomorrow morning.  Troy won an all-expenses paid trip to the Beach and Yacht Club on the Disney property.  We will be flying out early tomorrow (just the adults THIS time) and will spend four days in sunny Florida.   The company has provided us with 3-day park hopper passes and we intend to spend some quality time in the Disney parks!

Needless to say, it has been busy and I hate feeling this out-of-sorts, but most likely, if you know me at all, you know that I always seem to be out-of-sorts and trying to keep up with the daily routines of our little family.  Add to that this stupid cancer-thing and I feel like I am working three full-time jobs right now.
In any event, your kind words, thoughtful posts (on here and on Facebook) and prayers are all greatly appreciated.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment